Forget Boiling water on the stove – Use the Varoma.
Using the Varoma for cooking tomatoes is a game-changer that eliminates the hassle of traditional boiling and peeling methods. With the Varoma, you can easily achieve beautifully peeled tomatoes with minimal effort. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Sharp knife
- Mixing bowl
- Large bowl of ice water
1. Prepare the Water in the Mixing Bowl:
- Start by placing 250 grams of water into the mixing bowl of your Thermomix.
2. Score the Tomatoes:
- Using a sharp knife, make a shallow “X” mark on the bottom of each tomato. This mark should be on the side opposite the stem side. This scoring helps in the peeling process.
3. Arrange Tomatoes in the Varoma:
- Place the scored tomatoes in the Varoma, making sure that there are enough uncovered holes to allow steam to escape and prevent the tomatoes from getting soggy.
4. Steam the Tomatoes:
- Set the Thermomix to steam the tomatoes by selecting a cooking time of 15 minutes at Varoma temperature and Speed 1.
5. Prepare an Ice Water Bath:
- While the tomatoes are steaming, prepare a large bowl filled with ice water. This will be used to quickly cool down the tomatoes after steaming.
6. Transfer to Ice Water:
- Once the 15-minute steaming cycle is complete, carefully and quickly transfer the hot tomatoes to the bowl of ice water. Be cautious to avoid burning yourself.
7. Allow Cooling:
- Leave the tomatoes in the ice water bath for a couple of minutes. As they cool, you’ll notice that the tomato skins begin to loosen.
8. Peel the Tomatoes:
- After the tomatoes have sufficiently cooled, you can easily peel off the skin. The “X” mark you made earlier will have helped to loosen the skin, making it effortless to remove.
Now you have perfectly peeled tomatoes ready to use in your recipes, and you’ve avoided the hassle of traditional boiling and peeling methods. The Varoma not only simplifies the process but also helps retain the flavor and nutrients of the tomatoes, making it an excellent choice for various tomato-based dishes.